How to learn to program? 526
Posts 1,040
Rep 709
Vouches: 83
Credits: 4,797
EarthSilver MedalApolloGhost
OP03-27-2020, 11:58 AM

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2020, 01:26 PM by ashh.)
I'm taking computer science for my classes this year and think its a good skill to learn in general not necessarily for anything OGU related. I know the basics for Python and want to continue to develop my skills but don't know how to go about it

Any advice?

[Image: 4o40RTE.png]

Liked by: Bon
Posts 7,511
Rep 754
Vouches: 20
Credits: 3,795
ActiveToilet PaperTop Banana
03-27-2020, 01:19 PM
I'll write some advice which you can take or ignore. Universally, a programmer will want to know at least C, UNIX, and git.
For C you can read K&R, try online tutorials, or make (or submit patches to) projects. If you know Python, the learning curve shouldn't be too big.
For UNIX, I recommend reading through the POSIX standard: https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/. I'd also recommend installing Linux, or making an account on SDF.org so you can get used to that environment. You will also definitely want to know how to write shell scripts, so here: https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/96...hap02.html.
For git, you can get away with memorizing some commands (git add, git clone, git commit, git push, git remote, git rebase, git status, git blame, etc.), but I'd recommend checking out the Pro Git book and reading through the manpages at some point to learn more about it. https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2
After all that (which isn't too bad), you should be set to work on whatever you want. To go further though, you'll want specific goals (it's like learning a language). If you want to learn how to reverse-engineer the protocol for some video game, you'll want to get used to network analyzers like Wireshark, Burp Suite, Charles, etc. If you want to write retro games, you'll want to learn Z80 assembly, 68k assembly or 6502 assembly depending on the platform. If you want to build a website, you'll want to learn the web standards... but only the basic ones, the web is way too complicated. If you want to write Minecraft mods, you'll want to learn about Java (but you won't have to because Java is easy most of the time). You get the picture, lol.

Hey you! Hire me to write a story for you! Or just buy my credits from me.
Come on, you know you want to. I'll replace this text with a new meme signature soon.

Bon Jovi <bon@2a03.party>
70FB 4E26 89FF ED78

Come on, you know you want to. I'll replace this text with a new meme signature soon.

70FB 4E26 89FF ED78

70FB 4E26 89FF ED78

70FB 4E26 89FF ED78
Liked by: 0000000
Posts 1,040
Rep 709
OP03-27-2020, 01:25 PM
(03-27-2020, 01:19 PM)Bon Wrote:I'll write some advice which you can take or ignore. Universally, a programmer will want to know at least C, UNIX, and git.
For C you can read K&R, try online tutorials, or make (or submit patches to) projects. If you know Python, the learning curve shouldn't be too big.
For UNIX, I recommend reading through the POSIX standard: https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/. I'd also recommend installing Linux, or making an account on SDF.org so you can get used to that environment. You will also definitely want to know how to write shell scripts, so here: https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/96...hap02.html.
For git, you can get away with memorizing some commands (git add, git clone, git commit, git push, git remote, git rebase, git status, git blame, etc.), but I'd recommend checking out the Pro Git book and reading through the manpages at some point to learn more about it. https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2
After all that (which isn't too bad), you should be set to work on whatever you want. To go further though, you'll want specific goals (it's like learning a language). If you want to learn how to reverse-engineer the protocol for some video game, you'll want to get used to network analyzers like Wireshark, Burp Suite, Charles, etc. If you want to write retro games, you'll want to learn Z80 assembly, 68k assembly or 6502 assembly depending on the platform. If you want to build a website, you'll want to learn the web standards... but only the basic ones, the web is way too complicated. If you want to write Minecraft mods, you'll want to learn about Java (but you won't have to because Java is easy most of the time). You get the picture, lol.

Thanks for the advice ! for now I'm looking to learn python as that what we'll be using my school but once i'm familiar with it i'll take into account what you've said

Liked by: Bon
Posts 665
Rep 319
Vouches: 28
Credits: 350
DemonMigration
03-27-2020, 01:31 PM
What helped me learn a little was by making the same program over and over again, but using different objects and variables every time, until I couldn’t think of anymore solutions. Sometimes this doesn’t work, but hope this helps ;)
GL with your studies!

My discord is unsearchable, so PM me yours if you would like to contact me.

Posts 1,040
Rep 709
OP03-27-2020, 03:24 PM
(03-27-2020, 01:31 PM)JW Wrote:What helped me learn a little was by making the same program over and over again, but using different objects and variables every time, until I couldn’t think of anymore solutions. Sometimes this doesn’t work, but hope this helps ;)
GL with your studies!

what sorta program ?

Posts 665
Rep 319
Vouches: 28
Credits: 350
DemonMigration
03-27-2020, 03:45 PM
(03-27-2020, 03:24 PM)ashh Wrote:what sorta program ?

I made auto-clickers, VAT calculators, password generators and things of that nature. Choose whatever you’re interested in.

Liked by: ashh
Posts 1,040
Rep 709
OP03-27-2020, 06:04 PM
send help pls